Thursday, January 22, 2009

THE ITCH I MUST SCRATCH, TRAVEL

Brandon and I will be venturing off to Portugal in June. I have been walking around with my Lonley Planet Travel guide to Portugal in my purse for the last two months.
I was browsing the book store shelves yesterday and discovered the book,

A Year in the World
by Frances Mayes


yes the Author of Under the Tuscan Sun. I never read that one but saw the movie ( A must see in my book, the scenery is to die for) In this n
ew book in her travel log she records all of her travels to Spain and Portugal, France, the British Isles. the Mediterranean, Turkey, Greece, and the south of Italy, and North Africa. It did not take me long to walk to the cash register after finding this gem.

I feel very blessed to have a job that I can take off for a few weeks to go re discover myself and a companion that feels just as passionate about it as I am. Then again even if I had a job that would not let me go I would just quit! I know not everyone is in a position to pick up and go on a trip around the world but hopefully you can escape for a moment and picture yourself on this journey with Frances Mayes... I will keep you posted on what I think of this book. I only got half way into the first chapter and decided I had to write a blog about it. Just to wet your appetite here is an excerpt from the book....

The urge to travel feels magnetic. Two of my favorite words are linked:
departure time.
And travel whets the emotions, turns upside down the memory bank, and the
golden coins scatter
~
When you travel, you become invisible, if you want. I do want. I like to be the observer. What makes these people who they are? Could
I feel at home here? No one expects you to have the stack of papers back by Tuesday , or to check messages, or to fertilize the geraniums, or to sit full of dread in the waiting room at a proctologist's office. When traveling. you have the delectable possibility of not understanding a word of what is said to you. Language becomes simply a musical background for watching bicycles zoom along a canal, calling for nothing from you....

Ok I want to get back to my book.













4 comments:

  1. You always go everywhere. I wish i could go:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheez... you just got back from Texas... wasn't that enough of a "scratch" for you? You are SOOO high maintenance ;) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Said! Could not have ever said it better myself! AND I wish I was going with you... maybe just in your suitcase or something :) I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go back someday with all of us original girls minus one :) but, maybe heath could take "the spot" lol! ANyway reading that post took me right back to Europe where we truly became invisible or should I say we all truly BECAME!!

    ReplyDelete